8-Week Mindfulness Class in Berkeley Starts September 25
- When: Monday nights, 7:00 - 9:30.
- Dates: September 25 - November 13, plus a daylong session on
November 8, (9:30 - 4:30).
- Where: 1533 Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley, (at Harmony Yoga)
- Limit: 15.
- Cost: $375 (includes class materials)
More than 14 days before first class: 100% refund;
Within 8-14 days of first class: 50% refund;
Within 7 Days or Later: No refund.
There are no refunds for missed classes.
*Course meets the qualifications for 28 hours of continuing education credit for MFTs, LCSWs, or LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Science.
Started in 1979 by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is the systematic application of mindfulness training to stress and to health problems related to stress. MBSR has proven highly effective in diminishing anxiety and depression, and in lessening the ill effects of stress on heart disease, cancer, chronic pain, skin ailments, asthma, and many other conditions. Even with our greatest challenges, mindfulness can teach us to live more satisfying lives, and to nurture our health and well-being.
A growing body of research demonstrates the powerful effectiveness of MBSR as a tool for decreasing stress and supporting healing.
Things you will learn for stress reduction:
- How to live in the present moment
- Cultivate ease and mental flexibility
- Gain insight into unhealthy patterns of reactivity
- Learn to practice self-compassion
- Learn the art of doing one thing at a time instead of multi-tasking
- Relate to your thoughts so that they donít overwhelm you
- Learn meditation techniques you can practice in daily life (body scan, sitting meditation, walking & eating meditations)
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction 8-Week Course Outline
The course in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction takes place over eight weeks. Classes are approximately 2 1/2 hours long and are held on a weekday evening. Each class consists of lead meditations, gentle movement exercises, didactic lecture, and group discussion. The course also includes an all-day session on a Saturday during the sixth week. Between classes, students deepen their participation by practicing 40 minutes a day with meditation CDs, as well as doing optional readings from the course textbook, Full Catastrophe Living by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn.
The in-class curriculum includes the following components:
- Week 1: Beginner's Mind ° Introduction to Program ° Foundations of Mindfulness ° More right with you than wrong ° Introduction to Body Scan meditation ° Intake
- Week 2: Patience ° Basic Training ° Working with perceptions °The Wandering Mind °Mindful Yoga
- Week 3: Non-Striving ° Mindfulness of Breathing Meditation ° Lying Yoga ° Attention vs. Disattention ° Pleasant Events
- Week 4: Stressful Events ° Responding vs. Reacting ° Seeing Our Patterns ° Sitting Meditation ° Standing Yoga ° Research on Stress & Stress Hardiness
- Week 5: Working with Thoughts & Emotions ° Group Reflections on Halfway Point ° Small & Large Groups ° Sitting Meditation ° Qi Gong
- Week 6: Mindfulness & Communication ° Avoiding Difficulty vs. Entering and Blending ° Lovingkindness Meditation ° Walking Meditation
- Daylong Session: Putting it All Together
- Week 7: Sitting Meditation ° Qi Gong ° Trust & Self-Reliance ° Mindful Consumption ° Making the Practice Your Own ° Mindfulness in Everyday Life
- Week 8: Sitting Meditation ° Walking ° The Class Never Ends: Practice for the rest of Your Life ° Course Evaluations, Group Reflection & Checking Out